Kicking Off DFMC Season #2

45626285_1955222191179669_3462294671995174912_oThis past Wednesday was our first DFMC Team Meeting, held at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. If I wasn’t already excited to start officially training for my second marathon, I certainly am now! We’ve got more than 470 team members already (of about 550 spots), 50% of whom are first-timers. I noticed some very young faces and have seen several posts from college students in our private Facebook group. Can you imagine being a casual runner in college and deciding to take on your first marathon AND fundraising thousands of dollars? That was definitely not something I would have been able to do as a college student, so kudos to them. One of them is only 17 and will turn 18 before the marathon (a BAA requirement)!

shirts-finalI sold several shirts and have now sold 20% of my inventory which already feels like a huge relief. I am so worried I’ll be stuck with unsold shirts but having sold 20% this early into the season makes me feel hopeful. If you are interested in purchasing one, let me know!

I’m glad I made it to the meeting because Wednesday morning was a bit dicey. I have been struggling with leg pain lately due to all the rain. Ever since I was little, my legs – namely, the backs of knees – hurt whenever it’s going to rain. That’s been pretty much every other day for the last month, so I’ve been taking a LOT of ibuprofen. When I woke up Wednesday, I popped two ibuprofen and headed to my training session at the gym. But the stomach pain set in almost immediately. The workout was particularly brutal and my fellow athlete Praneeth said he felt nauseated and didn’t know how I was going through each exercise so quickly. Honestly, I was getting them over with. I managed to survive sled push sprints, and half my barbell RDLs and weighted sled pushes before I excused myself to get sick in the bathroom. I saw myself in the mirror – soaked in sweat, white instead of bright red skin like I usually get during exercise, and just horrible pain and nausea. It’s one thing to puke from a workout and it’s another thing to puke during a workout because of some other reason. So I threw in the towel for the first time ever with Sadlo. It broke my heart to admit defeat, but I knew something was up. It honestly wasn’t until I got home and saw that Advil bottle that I realized the likely culprit of my stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting. Thankfully I only threw up the one time, but it took several hours of laying low and a two-hour nap before I felt 100% again.

I was so looking forward to get back on the wagon Thursday, but I woke up to the news of yet another mass shooting – this time in Thousand Oaks, California. My company has a child care center there and being that my role is crisis communications, I sprung into action well before 7am and didn’t sign off my computer for the day until 7pm. After a 12-hour workday, two cry sessions about the horrible state our country is in and the fact that responding to mass shootings is becoming a new normal, I had nothing left in me to go for a run. It doesn’t help that I’m still not allowed to run on pavement, so I can’t just lace up my sneakers and head out the door. I have to drive to the track or the reservoir for a more forgiving surface – but only until the 21st!

20181109_073146This morning’s training session was EXACTLY what I needed. Upper body with some deadlifts to make up for Wednesday’s half-workout left me with noodle arms in the best way possible. Then I headed to PT, with a stop for coffee on my way. Ben did Graston and ART on both calves, which hurts like a mother, and then dry-needled the trigger point in the back of my left calf. For the first time ever, he could barely get any twitch response – this is a good thing! It means that spot really isn’t much of a trigger point anymore.

I found out this was my 26th PT visit of 2018, and my insurance company only authorizes 25 visits before you need to get an additional authorization to prove it’s medically necessary. It definitely is, and both Ben and my primary care doctor will advocate as needed, but there is always a possibility that the insurance company rejects the charges and I’m left paying them out of pocket. I have 3 more appointments scheduled this year – once every 2 weeks – so hopefully I’m not stuck paying for these 4 on my own.

I’m planning to run after work today to make up for yesterday’s forced rest day. Hopefully it works out!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s