6 Months until the Marathon

Believe it or not (I’m in the latter camp), the Boston Marathon is 6 months from today! 182 days! 26 more Mondays until THE Monday!


I’m holding off on publicly thanking my first supporters until I reach my first milestone ($1,000), so if you want to make a donation, you can do so here: danafarber.jimmyfund.org/goto/KellyDFMC. I’m also patiently awaiting approval on my custom t-shirt design from the Dana-Farber compliance folks, so check back soon for more info on those.

In the meantime, I have been running! Since September 18, I’ve only run twice per week instead of 3 times like planned, but it’s because I’m being extremely cautious about every little ache and pain, and also life has been hectic. My boss took a new position with a different company after 11 years here, and I am completely crushed. She was much more than just a manager to me – she was a mentor and a friend – and coming to work just hasn’t been the same. I’m content and I like my job and I’m so happy for her, but it’s been a major adjustment and I miss her a lot.

I turned 34 last weekend, and that meant lots of eating out, birthday cake, and not much working out. But I finally found my groove during last Tuesday’s run. It was pouring rain, so cold I wished I’d worn gloves, and amazing. I struggled to get up early last week so I had no choice but to run after work, and none of the tracks around here are open to the public in the afternoons or evenings until very late. So I went to the Chestnut Hill Reservoir, which has been my go-to running route for a LONG time. Almost all of my solo runs over the past 3 years have included some of the path around the reservoir. It used to be strictly gravel but over the years, it’s become a much softer and kinder combination of gravel and dirt. I was only allowed to run on the very soft, bouncy synthetic track surface at first, but after 3 weeks I felt like it was time to graduate.

I had no pain and it was so wonderful to be truly running outside instead of on a track. Sure, the reservoir path is a loop but it’s a 1.6-mile loop, so nothing like the quarter-mile loops around a track. And since it was raining, the dirt was actually mud which was even more forgiving than dry dirt would’ve been.

I did that again Saturday morning (also in a downpour) and had planned to run again on Sunday afternoon/evening, but by the time I got home from my errands and snuggling baby Max, I only had 2 hours to cook all my meals for the week and clean my apartment before the Red Sox game started. So I have a sparkling clean apartment, healthy prepped meals for the entire week (include a healthy dinner of salmon and veggies and exactly 1 beer last night), and well-rested legs.

This morning’s workout – except 4 sets of B and C, and regular push-ups for me.

I’ve also been working with my trainer 2 days a week for about 6-7 weeks now, and since I missed a workout the Friday before my birthday weekend, I decided to make it up this morning. I NEVER work out on Mondays before work because the Sunday Scaries usually result in crappy sleep, but I knew my sleep last night was really going to be more like a nap. The Sox game ended around 11:30pm, I watched the end of the Pats game for a bit, and then couldn’t fall asleep so I watched some Netflix in bed till I passed out. When my alarm went off at 5:30am, I was pretty much awake anyway and my Fitbit told me I’d gotten 5 hours of sleep. Woof.

But nothing feels better than crushing a workout before 7:30 on a Monday morning – what a way to start the week! Only 26 more of them until the marathon!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s