Sinus Surgery 2.0 Update: Post-Op Days 4-5, and Happy Birthday to Rags

After my update on Saturday afternoon, I spent the rest of the day and night feeling pretty terrible. The nausea from the painkiller never seemed to wear off and I felt dizzy and gross for the rest of the weekend. The Gators won on a Hail Mary pass in the final 9 seconds of the game and I scared poor Chip to death, but that was the only positive of my weekend.

On Sunday I forced myself back to sleep after waking up at 6:30am, but only managed to get another hour of sleep before I was too starving to lie in bed anymore. I watched Netflix all morning, watched the Pats game from bed in the afternoon – but slept through the entire 3rd quarter. I knew I wanted to watch the Emmy’s at 8pm so I wasn’t too worried about this late afternoon nap, but it ended up biting me in the butt because I barely slept on Sunday night despite my head not hitting the pillow until well after 11pm.

I had decided to set my alarm for both 6:30 and 7am this morning instead of my usual 6am, but my body was raring to go despite little to no sleep, so I got to work at my usual 8am. At 8:30, the power went out at my office. By 10am, my boss had sent us home and by 11am, power was apparently back but I was comfortably working from my bed and there was no way I was going back. It was a blessing in disguise – I still felt dizzy, plus I felt like I had a fever (likely more of a sleep hangover) – and I was worried I wasn’t going to make a full day at the office anyway. Instead, I worked from bed in sweatpants, totally cozy and with minimal nausea thanks to barely moving.

I was hoping I would have felt well enough to go to a gentle yoga class this week, but even if I did, my hand and wrist are in bad shape. My hand is black & blue and swollen, and it  hurts to even wash my hands let alone bend my wrist or exert any pressure with that hand. I have a post-op appointment with the surgeon on Thursday, and I know he’s going to tell me that this is my primary care doctor’s problem to deal with (same as last year’s post-op ear infection), but maybe he’ll have some insight since it’s technically an OR complication rather than a side effect. I would honestly rate the pain at a 0 when I’m sitting still with my wrist in neutral position, but about a 7 when I bend, move, touch or bump it. It’s frustrating, to say the least.

On an equally negative but totally different note, today would have been Rags’ 11th birthday. It’s so crazy that one year ago, I was in awe of how healthy my 10-year-old dog was, and how often people thought he was still a puppy. Within a month, we had the cardiomyopathy diagnosis and within 6 months of turning 10, he was gone. I still miss him so much. I’ve been crying on and off today, kind of just wishing we could fast forward and make it September 19. Since we can’t, here’s Rags in his happier, healthier days (I don’t know where the captions came from or how to edit them).



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s