Sinus Surgery Update: Post-Op Days 9-11

Friday was rough. I was exhausted. The “work week” had run me ragged, and I couldn’t sign off fast enough at the end of the day. I hopped in the shower so I could be presentable for dinner, and then my former co-worker Teresa came over with takeout – Thai! It was great to see her and catch up and have a human conversation for the second time in two days, and my appetite was ferocious. Probably because the food was delicious and smelled & looked so good right in front of me. I ate more in that meal that I had since before the surgery.

My weekend was completely uneventful. I did laundry and went to Target with my brother for some essentials, but the rest of my time consisted of lying in bed watching Netflix (I’ve watched 4+ seasons of Grey’s Anatomy since the weekend before surgery – re-watching from the beginning because I still can’t get enough of that show). I did take Rags on our full complement of daily walks both days, trying to get back into the routine for both of us. I still never managed to hit 10,000 steps, but at least I’ve been sleeping 8+ hours a night.

Unfortunately, the sleeping well thing went to hell in a handbasket Sunday night. When you hate your job, you never sleep well on Sundays so I know that Sunday night insomnia all too well. But I don’t hate my current job. I think I just was nervous/excited/anxious about going back to the office for the first time in 10 days. And also, I’m sure all the lounging I did this weekend was restful, and my body decided we did not need sleep Sunday night. According to my Fitbit, I finally fell asleep around 1:20AM, and then my alarm went off at 6AM. I actually woke up at like 5:50 and laid there deciding whether or not I was going to get up and go to work, or work from home. I started convincing myself it was too soon and that I needed to stay home one more day. I felt awful, even when I did get up to walk Rags and get ready. In the end, I went into work and told myself I would leave early and work from home the rest of the day if I needed to.

Sunday night, I started feeling a lot more congested than I have lately. I also have pretty bad ear pain in my left ear. It’s tender to the touch, even on the outside. My cough has not gotten any better since the surgery and although I’m on antibiotics, my immune system is probably shot along with all my ENT stuff being traumatized by the surgery. It might have contributed to why I didn’t sleep. I am still wary of a possible CSF leak, but my headache isn’t any better or worse when I lie down vs. sit up, so I’m sure I’m just being a hypochondriac.

2016-04-25 13.07.09
“Welcome back” flowers from my boss – the mug is SO me

I’m glad I went into the office. I was exhausted by the time I got there, having taken the T, walked about a quarter-mile to the bus, then another half-mile to my office. I was clammy and breathless when I sat down at my desk, but felt better as the day went on. It also felt good to get out of my apartment and breathe different air – although breathing through my nose still stings a little and my nose was absolutely assaulted by the smells of a communal kitchen and public restroom. I got lots of compliments on how good I looked, which was nice because I don’t seem to feel as good as people thought I looked. I do know most people were expecting bruises or at least remnants of bruises. I never got a bloody nose and my snot-blowing and phlegm-coughing weren’t as frequent or disruptive as I had worried they might be.

I lasted the entire day, and after walking Rags, I got straight into bed to watch the Game of Thrones season premiere. I was falling asleep for the last 20 minutes, and probably need to re-watch it, but decided to call it a night. Rags looked comfortable and content, so we skipped our night walk and went to sleep instead. I’m pretty sure I died in my sleep. I slept like a rock, and when my alarm went off at 6am I had no idea who or where I was. I had to snooze for another few mintues in order to not feel like I was in a coma before getting out of bed. I immediately touched my ear and yup – still hurt a lot. Afrin and a good night’s sleep apparently isn’t helping…yet…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s