No Sweating Allowed


I should have run last week. I didn’t. I went to my usual Monday night class and we had a sub, probably due to the snow. And I mean substitute teacher, not a grinder. A grinder would be great right now, aside from the fact I have no appetite. What was I saying? Oh, right. So this new girl taught the class in a completely different format than we’re all used to. It’s a Tabata class and I don’t even know how to pronounce that let alone what the correct format is. But either way, I really didn’t like Monday’s class. It was hard in that my arches ached almost instantly – it was a TON of jumping and a TON of pushup/plank stuff, and my wrist has been hurting. Less, but still hurting. But then it was easy in that I never really was out of breath. I’m sure it was a good, efficient workout but I didn’t like it.

I honestly forget what happened the rest of the week. Tuesday was insane, and I usually take that day off from the gym anyway. I’d had plans for a while to meet my friend Gillian after work on Wednesday for a drink. It turned into dinner and two drinks. Thursday work was insane again, and I very much needed a glass of wine with my co-workers at our weekly Thursday in-office happy hour. And by Friday, I was just so drained. I really did intend to go to the gym, but I was exhausted. Saturday I intended to get up early, go for a treadmill run (since the temperature was about 30° but falling quickly), and then head to my mom’s for the weekend. But I slept later than planned and was raring to go. I didn’t even bother to make breakfast. I just threw Rags in the car and stopped at Dunk’s on my way to the highway. And obviously I did not run while at my mom’s. I mean, I have the last few times I visited. But by the time I got there it was about 20°, and was going to be below 0° by nightfall and -10° overnight. So, no outside runs. I got back to my apartment late on Sunday night, so that was a no-workout day. And Monday, again I really really really did intend to go to my class, but I had spent the previous two days traveling around New England/at both of my parents’ houses, and spent all day Monday running errands, doing laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc., so by late afternoon, I needed a beer and a nap. And so that was that.

Tuesday morning I worked from home until a 10:30am doctor’s appointment, which I thought was just a checkup. When I went for my appointment on Tuesday morning, I had no idea that my doctor was going to decide to take a biopsy. Hello painful! And in typical fashion, my blood wouldn’t clot for a long time. I knew there was no way I was going to work, so I emailed my manager and my colleagues and without going into detail, said my appointment ran long and I’d be working from home the rest of the day. The pain came in waves and the ibuprofen definitely wore off after about 3.5 hours each time I took it and HOLY HELL that was unpleasant.

So I haven’t been able to work out since, and even though the pain is mostly gone, I can’t get sweaty until the biopsy site is healed. So I’m not allowed to work out for a few more days. I actually think I’ll be OK by the weekend, but this is one I’m really not going to risk it on. It just makes me really mad at myself for having really lame excuses all last week when now I finally have a good one.

And then to top it all off, I woke up sick this morning. A 70-degree temperature difference in 36 hours will do that to you…



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s